Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Put the Bible in Your Heart

~ Study It with Heart ~

Approach Scripture with enthusiasm! The psalmist describes the anticipation of learning God's precepts this way: "How sweet are Your Words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" (Psalm 119:103, NASB)

~ Take It to Heart ~

I have lived long enough to realize that I desperately need truth in my life. By now, I've gotten just enough intelligence to be dangerous. I've gotten just enough man's wisdom to know it isn't trustworthy. I need His yes and no, His light to expose my darkness, His precepts to steel my convictions. His Word provides all that.

~ Learn It by Heart ~

Tradition tells us that the Jewish mothers of the first century taught their children to pray, "Into Your hands I commit my spirit" (Psalm 31:5). During Jesus' last hour on the cross, He repeated the same Scripture, most likely having memorized it as child at Mary's knee. I don't know of any discipline that will transform thoughts better than memorizing the Word. How urgently we need truth riveted to our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment